Unit 5: Justice
The following is a lecture given by Chomsky at the Poetry Center in New York on April 1970.
- Before hearing this lecture, what came to mind when you heard the terms liberalism, socialism, capitalism, or democracy?
- How do those impressions differ from the picture that Chomsky weaves for each?
- How might state socialism differ from other forms of socialism (consider looking them up)?
- Think of the culture, nation, or subculture in which you find yourself. How are these ways of organizing and reproducing society defined in those spaces?
- What are the challenges you think we will face, as a society and as a species, in the next 10, 30, and 100 years? Did Chomsky adequately address those concerns?