By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the value of incorporating someone else’s sources into your own writing.
- Be more confident about incorporating someone else’s sources into your own writing.
- Be able to distinguish the differences among the following three strategies summarizing, paraphrasing, and quoting.
- Decide when to use each strategy appropriately in different situations.
- Interpret and create basic citations in several common formats
- Determine the difference between plagiarism of ideas and plagiarism of words
- Use the strategies above to successfully use outside material while avoiding plagiarism